Sunday, July 13, 2008

In the heart of Silicon valley

I've always wanted to visit the US more than any other country, and this wish suddenly came true when I had to come onsite for my client eBay last month. I of course like to enjoy the scenery around me, but whenever I'm in a new place, the experiences that touch me most are those involving people and cultures. We've all read and heard enough and more about America, so I did have an idea of how life would be here. But little did I realize how heavy the Asian population is, in the heart of Silicon valley! I stay right behind eBay's south campus, and I hardly feel I've left Chennai, except for the climate!!

In general, the work atmosphere here is good. I especially like the way even strangers greet each others with a smile. And as I'm part of a new internal team that is just being built up, we actually get to think and work on real problems, rather than typing away boring lines of code that meet the stipulations of some Design document that are handed down a long line of teams, leads and managers!

Being here has also helped me to look at some problems of their own that developed countries are just discovering. Such as how hostile their easy lifestyle is, to sustenance of the environment. When I first reached here, I was shell-shocked to see the amount of tissue, kitchen/toilet paper and plastics people consume and dispose without a second thought. There is so much of energy consumption for simply sustaining life. Now I know why the poorest American, even if he uses public transport and conserves electricity at home, will still consume more than the per capita consumption in India.

I've always believed I was a 'world citizen' first, and yet I'm more patriotic than the average Indian. After graduation, I wanted to continue to work in India itself, though my parents have always been eager I settle in the 'Gulf' like most muslim families in Malabar. All this was because I've always believed my country needed people like me to stay back and work for her. Yet in this last few months, I have been wondering if it is really India that needs me, or the rest of the world, that needs to learn some things from India. And anyways, why does one-sixth of the world's population have to live cramped up in one bit of land, simply because their forefathers were born there ?!

Lets spread out our wings like ever, fellow Indians!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol..one more down...bitten by the american bug..:)

Zeba said...

Ha ha ha .. it's not as bad as that! I'm not sure I really WANT to stay in the US, but my reasons for staying back in India are less strong now, that's all :)

Azra Raphael said...

great to know about life in America straight from a cousin.
wish u all the very best girl.. the world needs u! lols.

hey, im ashu. just in case my blogger name confuses u

Unknown said...

being able to think/live as global citizen, being able to live in any part of the world - its good. Not everyone can do that.

You have your parents who brought you up, who have taken care of you and helped you conquer heights.

For me, even though I like the concept of global citizenship, mother land and mother tongue are as important as my mother. If my reasons for living in India (you say 'staying back' not 'living') become less strong anyday, I would consider it exactly similar to moving away from my parents.

True, these are all on an emotional level, and my personal view.

deostroll said...

Happy to know that you are experiencing foreign culture. Its nice to know to a certain (ethical extent) how other people live.

And irrespective of whether we live in a cramped up piece of land or not, we still face the same problems/needs. If I am thirsty I might soak it up with a glass of water or juice. You might do the same thing with a bottle of coke. :)

Humans live the same no matter how relatively developed/undeveloped the country they live in might be. And I don't know why, but most people call this phenomenon, "life".